Key factors that all businesses should consider when selling goods and services online include:
- Be aware of your consumer law obligations. Broadly, laws which apply to face to face dealings equally apply to online transactions.
- There are numerous rules which apply to the marketing of your business and its products. This includes the application of the SPAM Act which places prohibitions on unsolicited email communication.
- Be aware of the laws which govern the collation of personal information.
- Remember that protecting your intellectual property is just as important when transacting online.
- Consider the tax consequences (including GST) that apply to online transactions.